Research has shown that sleeping better is just as important as regular exercise and eating a balanced diet. The growth of our body, repair of our body system, and secretion of fat-burning hormones, all this process happens in our body while we are asleep. National Sleep Foundation India recommends “how to sleep well” around nine to eleven hours for kids, eight to ten hours of sleep for teenagers, and seven to eight hours of sleep for working adults. However, when it comes to sleep, it is always about quality and quantity, so sleep well and sound is the key. In fact, sleep can boost your immune system, it can help boost your mental well-being, and it can help prevent diseases like diabetes, heart disease, stress, anxiety, and it can keep you slim too. Lack of sleep is one of the major problems of urban life. Tossing and turning in bed the entire night is what the majority of people are experiencing these days. Companies are making money by selling certain magic pills, potions, and even pillows with a night of sleep well guarantee and relieve you from your problem of how to sleep better which is completely ridiculous and fake. Let’s explore some proper, evidence-based tips to help you sleep better. Incorporate them into your daily routine so, tossing and turning will become the problem of the past, and you can stay away from chronic diseases.
Plan Your Day
You must start your day with proper planning and follow a few tips before the night even starts, to make sure that you sleep well. First is an exercise:- Physical activity improves the quality of your “how to sleep well” regime and extends its duration. Even if you are going for fifteen minutes brisk walk or running errands, walking is quite enough. Exercising regularly again can boost your system to sleep well. But make a note about the timing of your exercise, because exercising too close to your bedtime might make you too energetic to sleep better.
Eating is the mid-factor as it comes to how to sleep better. The full stomach may disrupt your sleep well, as the heavier the meal, the longer it will take to digest. The opposite implies, do not go to bed empty stomach as an empty stomach may interfere with your sleeping patterns. Some foods are rich in tryptophan that induce sleep better, which are almonds, moong dal, paneer, milk oats, fish, and eggs. On the other hand, eating at a proper time is the main tip on how to sleep better. Eating too close to bedtime can stimulate your gastric juices and make you uncomfortable and won’t let you sleep better. On top of that, avoid eating spicy, overly citrus foods.
Put Away All Electronic Devices
Another tip to sleep better is to put away all your electronic devices like your phone, laptop, television at least half an hour before you go to sleep well. Numerous studies have shown that the blue light from these electronic devices disturbs your melatonin hormone and your ability to relax and sleep well. As you set the alarm for waking up in the morning, you can set the alarm one hour before going to sleep so that you know that it’s time to make your bedroom a tech-free zone. In this time you can meditate, write something or read any book. The whole idea is to prepare your mind and body for how to sleep better.
The best would be that you should keep your mobile network off, to ensure the end of those message alerts throughout the night. Nowadays, most mobile phones have the “Do Not Disturb” feature. So you will not face many problems and operate your mobiles according to your convenience.
Create An Optimal Environment
A major tip hidden behind the idea of how to sleep better is to make the right kind of environment to sleep better. The right temperature of the room to sleep well is as important. As you go to sleep better, your body naturally wants to lower its body temperature. If you feel you are sweating or freezy, then, how can you sleep better? Eighteen degrees Celsius to 24 degrees Celsius is the optimal temperature to sleep well. Furthermore, make a habit of embracing the darkness and dim your lights at night to sleep better. Even if you have a candle flickering on the side table also hinders your sleep. When you have exposure to bright light at night, it can affect your melatonin hormone, and then it makes it more difficult for you to take a sound sleep or sleep well. Some people tend to sleep beside their pets. Consider it as a big distraction to your sleep and make their bedding somewhere else.
Where there are so many things which help to sleep better, there are some things that you should avoid at night to sleep well. Black coffee, green tea are rich in caffeine and thus can mess with your sleeping cycles. It takes 12 hours to fully eliminate out of your body. Try to avoid them after 5 pm. Along with that, avoid taking alcohol. You may sleep better with alcohol, but it will hurt the quality of your sleep and negatively impact rapid eye movement sleep, waking you up nauseated and tired. You won’t wake up as well-rested. To sleep well, drinking too much water is again not a good idea. Avoid intake of water after a certain time to save yourself from disruptive trips to the toilet. Again you will start wondering the ideas of how to sleep better.
Preferably, wear loose cotton clothes as they are more comfortable for the body as compared to other fabrics. Moreover, hack your bedding, specifically your bed linens. Make sure your bed sheets are a hundred percent cotton, which can increase the chance to sleep better. Synthetic fiber could not make you sleep well and keep more bacteria throughout washes. Plus, cotton just feels good to the skin keeping breath ability and that’s clutch. Again, don’t forget to keep your surroundings completely neat and clean You can try deep breathing, listening to music to sleep better try A quick shower can also prove helpful in your process of “how to sleep better”.
People love taking naps. No doubt it’s a relaxing affair, but on the contrary, it can be a double-edged sword to your quality sleep. They are refreshing and can give you some energy as long as you keep them somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes. However, they would decrease your sleepiness, but it will make it harder at night to sleep well. So avoid naps if you can, unless the circumstances call for it. During your post-lunch lull, just do some stretching. Few hand and neck movements will shed off your tiredness.
Massage Your Feet
Try this age-old traditional technique of our elders. To sleep better, take a little mustard oil, warm it and gently massage your feet. This is a very relaxing technique because you can experience ached feet after a long day.
Importance of Good Sleep
- A poor sleep cycle is directly connected to higher body weight. Sleep-deprived people tend to gain weight more than people who sleep well and get an adequate amount of rest. Eventually, a physically fit person is accepted and productive everywhere.
- Sleep is a very vital part of maintaining good health and well-being throughout your life. During sleep, your body is supporting your healthy brain function.
- Sleep is important and it should be a priority. Some people do not realize the risks of sleep deficiency, hence they do not put any effort into how to sleep better. Even with limited or poor-quality sleep, they may think that they can function well. For, e.g., a drowsy driver can feel capable of driving, but this is riskier than being drunk.
- One who sleeps well enjoys more concentration, focus, and cognitive skills. Such people bring laurels and achieve success in life.
- A study was done on people’s responses to emotional stimuli. Researchers concluded that a person’s emotional empathy is less when they do not sleep better.
- For a long time, sleep and mental health relationships have been a subject of research. Reports show that people with sleep disorders are likely to show signs of depression, which leads to many suicides.
- A good night’s sleep makes you feel energetic and alert, too.
- You must know certain tricks on how to sleep better because good sleep improves your memory. Deep sleep is an important time for your brain to make memories and remember things for a long time.
- Sleep better is the time for you to relax. But in fact, this is a very hard time for the body because it is busy repairing damage caused by stress, ultraviolet rays, and other harmful exposure. Your body cells produce some proteins during your sleep. These proteins make building blocks for cells, letting them repair the damage to the day to keep you healthy.
Never take your sleep for granted. It is very basic for your health. You can never replace your health with money. So don’t stress and immerse yourself in earning more and more money. Instead, spare some time exploring more and more hacks on how to sleep better, that works on you. It may sound difficult sometimes, but with your consistent efforts and intense yearning to acquire a healthy body, you can create magic in your life.